Keratin Hair Treatment: A Client's Testimonial

Living in Taiwan has done a number on my hair and skin. Oh the humidity - it's SO humid in Taipei! This summer felt like we were trapped in a steam room full of sweaty, tired people. There were only brief moments of respite in AC or at the beach, but I never felt like I could really let my hair down and relax.

I've always struggled with my hair, but since moving to Taipei it's been a new set of challenges. I feel like it always looks flat and I have some cowlicks that make it difficult to wear certain hairstyles. Usually, I just put it up in a bun so I don't have to maintain or style my frizzy, sweaty mess. Keratin was never on my radar until Ellis recommended the natural treatment to de-frizz and add volume. It's rare that you find an English speaking hairdresser in Taipei, so I jumped on the opportunity to experience her services.

 
Before
After







 





What is keratin, you ask?

Keratin is naturally-occurring in your nails, hair and skin. It's a fortifying protein that builds the thickness and strength of your hair. Ellis offers the express Keratin treatment, which is a natural and safe hair-straightening method. You may have heard about the "Brazilian blowout", usually done with formaldehyde and often used to maintain and straighten very curly hair. This treatment is NOT the same - it's a safer and more natural version with the same effects.

Who should get keratin treatments?

In this climate, anyone can benefit from an express keratin treatment! The humidity in Taipei will ruin even the most chill hair days, and you can be sure keratin will keep your hair looking silky soft and straight no matter the weather. 

If you've got damaged hair due to bleaching, but don't want to sacrifice the length, you can get a keratin treatment to salvage and fortify the hairs. 

Ellis specializes and has experience with foreigners' hair, and she can help anyone with unruly manes! Because the treatment is so safe, it can help anyone, including pregnant women and children..
Keratin treatment from Argentina

The Process

  1. She washed my hair with shampoo twice, each time taking care to massage my scalp.
    1. The second wash is for hair that is slightly greasier, or hasn't been washed in a while.
  2. Washed once with the keratin pre-treatment, then rinsed.
  3. Second wash with the keratin pre-treatment was left in for 5 minutes with a hot towel under the neck (ahhh…).
  4. This was followed by a rinse and another head massage (bliss).
  5. She dried my hair with a blow drier.
    1. This results in very dry hair, allowing the keratin to mould to the hair.
  6. Then she took the keratin serum in small amounts and dab on hair while combing it through.
    1. The amount depends on the thickness and quantity of hair.
  7. I sat for 30 minutes with the treatment in my hair, we chatted about life and Ellis gave me some advice on my scalp. This is the closest thing I've experienced to a western hairdresser in Taipei!
  8. Rinsed with water.
  9. Finally, she blow-dried and ironed my hair to seal the keratin.
    1. A special iron is used for keratin treatment to seal the protein; high heat is needed, but it won’t burn the hair because it’s protected by the keratin.
The whole process took around 90 minutes, and felt quicker due to the pleasant chats with Ellis. She instructed me to think of the treatment like you are emptying a house (your hair), then filling it with boxes (the keratin). You end up with a full house (head) of hair!



After Care

She told me that, unlike the formaldehyde straightening technique, I could get my hair wet immediately after the treatment. If you want to go to the beach, or take a swim, it's no problem! She said her clients often get it before a beach day, so they feel fresh and frizz-free.

Ellis recommends you blow dry or quickly iron your hair throughout the period that the keratin treatment is working, to continue bonding the keratin to your hairs. It lasts for about 3 months, but as you get more treatments the longevity of its effects can extend! Some clients experienced the effects for up to 9 months

Best of all, unlike Brazilian blowouts, the express keratin treatment will gradually and naturally fade out over time, so you aren't left with a weird-looking, half head of curls mixed with straight hair!

Final Thoughts

I was a bit skeptical at first, because I heard that keratin treatments were meant for curly hair, but I was so pleased with the results! It added volume and thickness, as well as providing detangling effects (my hair is usually very knotted). After washing and blow-drying my hair the first time, it looked perfectly styled without having to put any effort in. This treatment really provides you with effortless hairstyling, lightness, and volume, and took the stress out of the equation during my daily hair care. Thank you, Ellis!





Price: 3500-4000NT$
If you'd like to book an appointment with Ellis, she's flexible! 
Just reach her on LINE ID: 0960313223
IG : ellis_wilmot
FB : ellis hair club

                        Kiffer Hair Salon Address: No. 30, Lane 36, Section 2, Zhongshan North Road, Zhongshan District,Taipei. (Zhongshan Exit R7/R8 on the right side) 
Mondays closed. 
By appointments : 11am to 8pm     
Saturdays and Sundays : 10:30 to 7pm

*Ellis offers a number of other services, just check the SERVICES tab at the top of the homepage for her prices* 



Past client results




Comments

  1. Can you tell me honestly, did you feel like the treatment lasted 3 months? I could only consider doing this if you felt the effects last about that long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Keratin is a smoothing treatment, primarily for women with curly, frizzy hair. It contains straight effects formula that makes hair smooth and eliminates frizz. If you want pin straight hair, you will still need to flat iron it.

      Delete
  2. How do you say Keratin treatment in Chinese? I have only found wrong answers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Taiwan, most people call it ้›ขๅญ่ญท.
      In Hong Kong, we call it ็›ด็™‚

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Colouring Hair with Effortless Radiance